Temporary Foreign Work Permit (TFWP)

As a rule, foreign nationals are required to obtain a valid work permit, upon receiving a job offer from a Canadian employer. Application for a Temporary Foreign Work Permit entails a double procedure which includes both the employee and the employer. In most cases, the employer with the job offer is required to obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment from the ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada). A positive LMIA shows that no Canadian worker or permanent resident in Canada is available to do the job, as a result there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. Temporary foreign workers may be eligible to apply for permanent residency after completing one-year, full time work experience in specific occupations.  

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Post Graduation Work Permit is an open work permit that allows international graduates of eligible Canadian colleges and universities to gain Canadian work experience. A post-graduation work permit may be issued based on the length of the study program for a minimum of 8 months up to a maximum of 3 years. Post graduation work permit holders can work part time or full time for any employer for the approved duration. Graduates who gain at least 1 year of skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B through the PGWP may qualify to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

Open Work Permit (OWP)

An open work permit allows an individual to work for any employer in Canada. You may be eligible for an open work permit if you have one of the following situations and meet the related eligibility criteria:

  • International student, graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
  • Student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of the studies (destitute student)
  • Temporary foreign worker with an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
  • Individuals who applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • Dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • The spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student enrolled in a program
  • The spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • Refugee, refugee claimant, protected person, or their family member
  • Persons under an unenforceable removal order
  • Temporary resident permit holders
  • Young workers participating in special programs