Study permit is the official document that allows a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident to study in Canada. Study permit is not a visa and cannot be used to enter Canada. Once IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) approves the first study permit application, a visitor visa, or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) also will be issued.

Foreign nationals are required to obtain a study permit for programs that are 6 months or longer in duration. 

Basic requirements in applying for a study permit are: